About Illuminating Oil Cleanser
Cleansing and exfoliating are fundamental to a person’s skincare routine and are directly linked to anti-ageing benefits. Proper cleansing and exfoliation also enables the following skincare products to penetrate the epidermis effectively. They lay the building blocks for strong overall skin health.
Our Illuminating Exfoliant has an advanced formula contains lactic acid (AHA) derived from maize. Lactic acid dissolves the glue that cements dead skin cells together, revealing a smoother, brighter skin complexion and delivers optimum cell turnover rate. Willow bark (BHA) is incorporated to break down excess sebum in clogged pores, it penetrates the pores deeper to prevent breakouts and is known for its supreme anti-inflammatory properties.
Powerhouse hydration ingredient, Pentavitin, is also incorporated in the Illuminating Exfoliant to replenish the skin’s moisture after exfoliating. It delivers thirst-quenching hydration to the skin for a prolonged period of time and holds 1000 times its water weight.
It’s not enough for our products to be 100% clean, they have to have uncompromising results.
In in-vivo tests, Pentavitin is proven to:
- Provide 72-hours of long-lasting, deep hydration
- Prolong skin hydration up to 6 days after the last application
- Face mapping shows that 3 hours after a single application, excessively dry skin is hydrated
How does Pentavitin work?
Its effectiveness is based on its unique composition, which is like that of the carbohydrate complex found in human skin, and on its unique mechanism for binding itself with the outer layers of the skin, giving it instant and long-lasting hydration abilities.
It’s a fraction of the size of most other hydrating ingredients, meaning it can penetrate deep into the inner layers of the skin. Pentavitin can only be removed through the natural shedding of dead skin cells.
Facial skin hydration colour mapping – a revolution
Pentavitin has been clinically proven by skin hydration colour mapping to hold moisture in the skin for 72 hours. Hydration levels were measured at 30 different pre-defined points on the face, and a specific algorithm was then used to translate them into detailed facial colour maps.
21 active high performing ingredients
We believe in innovative, natural, complex formulas that have more ingredients and less fillers. We fill our products with the highest number of science-backed, consciously grown and cutting-edge ingredients from around the globe, to produce high-performing natural products. Our mission is to prove that luxurious, high-performing skincare doesn’t have to come at a compromise to people’s health or the planet’s.
Every ingredient works hard in our formulation to prevent and repair hyperpigmentation, but below are your noteworthy ‘skin heroes’:
- Hibiscus Flower: Contains a natural source of AHAs to help exfoliate and control oily skin and clogged pores. Hibiscus is rich in antioxidants called anthocyanins, which fight free radicals and help to prevent premature skin ageing. It maintains elastin in the skin by decreasing the activity of elastase, which is an enzyme that breaks down our skin’s natural elastin.
- Pentavitin: Has a smaller molecular size than Hyaluronic Acid, meaning it can penetrate the skin’s epidermis deeper, for prolonged hydration results. Pentavitin works to help the skin create its own internal water source to continually rehydrate itself, it locks in moisture by strengthening the skin’s barrier function. Pentavitin works in as little as three hours and testing proves it works non-stop for 72-hours, delivering more hydration than any other ingredient on the market before.
- Lactic Acid: Dissolves the glue that cements dead skin cells together, revealing a smoother, brighter skin texture and delivers optimum cell turnover rate.
- Willow Bark: Breaks down excess sebum in clogged pores to prevent breakouts.
- Jojoba Beads: Biodegradable beads gently that exfoliate the skin. They have natural emollient properties and help to maintain the skin’s natural pH balance.
Full list of ingredients
We ensure every Emma Lewisham ingredient is clean and safe and ban 2700 ingredients that have been identified by the Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) Skin Deep Database as hazardous or potentially harmful to humans. Below is our full list of ingredients with their EWG ratings in brackets (1 = low, 10 = high).
You can also learn more about each ingredient and our sustainability goals in our Emma Lewisham Sustainability Framework.
Our Illuminating Exfoliant formulation is vegan.
Organic Aloe barbadensis (Aloe Vera) leaf extract (1) • Water (1) • Coco-caprylate (1) • Cetearyl alcohol (1) • Organic Helianthus annuus (Sunflower) seed oil (1) • Glyceryl stearate citrate (1) • Hydrogenated Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) oil (1) • Glycerin (1) • Pentylene glycol (1) • Kaolin (1) • Salix alba (Willow) bark extract (1) • Hibiscus sabdariffa (Hibiscus) flower extract (1) • Organic Mentha piperita (Peppermint) leaf extract (1) • Lactic acid (1) • Organic Primula veris (Cowslip) extract (1) • Organic Leontopodium alpinum (Edelweiss) flower/leaf extract (1) • Saccharide isomerate (1) • Organic Achillea millefolium (Yarrow) extract (1) • Alaria esculenta (Seaweed) extract (1) • Organic Alchemilla vulgaris (Lady’s Mantle) extract (1) • Organic Malva sylvestris (Mallow) extract (1) • Organic Salvia hispanica (Chia) seed oil (1) • Citrus grandis (Grapefruit) peel oil (1) • Organic Melissa officinalis (Lemon Balm) leaf extract (1) • Organic Veronica officinalis (Speedwell) extract (1) • Xanthan gum (1) • Glyceryl caprylate (1) • Caprylic/capric triglyceride (1) • Dehydroacetic acid (1) • Benzyl alcohol (4) • Parfum (natural fragrance, derived from flowers) • Citral (3) • Limonene (4) • Linalool (3)
- 100% of total ingredients are naturally derived
- 76% of ingredients are organic
- Our formulations contain citral, limonene, linalool in very low concentrations as constituents of our essential oils. It’s worth noting that the EWG rating for these, refer only to the individual constituents extracted in a lab from the essential oil, or synthetic replications. The ratings are not applicable to our formulas, as we never use extracted or synthetic constituents, only the pure naturally occurring essential oil
Sustainability & Recycling
Every Emma Lewisham product has been designed with the intention of being refillable, recyclable or compostable. We believe the future of beauty is where brands take ownership for what happens to their packaging at the end of its life, and that we should all aspire to a truly closed-loop recycling system.
Our Illuminating Oil Cleanser is included in our Emma Lewisham Beauty Circle Refill Programme that is available for New Zealand and Australia (unfortunately we are unable to offer this globally at present). If you have previously purchased an Illuminating Oil Cleanser and have finished your bottle, you have the option to purchase a refilled bottle that has been cleaned, sterilised, refilled and kept in circulation.
This product is also included in our Emma Lewisham Beauty Circle free recycling programme. We believe the future of beauty is a circular model, where brands take ownership for what happens to their packaging at the end of its life.
Our Illuminating Oil Cleanser box is printed on an environmentally responsible paper which has been produced using PEFC certified pulp from responsible sources. We print on it using mineral, oil free, vegetable-based inks and water-based coatings. Oil based glue is required to assemble these boxes. Stamping foil used on the box does not affect recyclability. It is 100% recyclable in New Zealand with no chemical coatings, which means our boxes will degrade naturally, whether they are composted or simply put in the landfill.
Our Illuminating Oil Cleanser bottle is a frosted glass bottle with a plastic cap and pump made from imported virgin materials.
We’ve worked hard to provide you with clean skincare via a supply chain that is efficient, transparent, and accountable. To this end, we have developed a Sustainability Framework which provides transparency on what Emma Lewisham is doing to address the six drivers of our supply chain: raw materials, supplier, manufacturing, distribution, retail outlets and customers. These are aligned with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. Read the Emma Lewisham Sustainability Framework.
How to use
Use 2 pumps, 3 times a week. Use a small layer of exfoliant and use gentle circular motions for 5-10 seconds. Leave on the skin for another 20 seconds to allow the actives to take full effect, before washing off with lukewarm water.