About Skin Shield SPF 30
Start every day with the world’s most powerful anti-aging
ingredient – sun protection
Skin Shield by Emma Lewisham was borne out of a personal dilemma. Emma couldn’t find a truly 100% clean and natural sunscreen that was high performance but still felt luxurious on her skin.
Our green chemists have worked meticulously to develop this. A revolutionary daily sunscreen with 19 powerful natural actives, 100% clean and natural, but invisible on the skin with no heaviness or greasiness and meets the highest of testing standards. It’s also reef safe.
It is very difficult chemistry to formulate a 100% clean and natural sunscreen that is luxurious as conventional products which use chemical screens or silicones, but we have done just that.
Skin Shield SPF 30 (100g) zinc sunscreen provides broad spectrum defence against UVA and UVB rays.
Skin Shield SPF 30 was formulated by an internationally recognised expert on sun protection.
It is tested to the Australian/New Zealand AS/NZS 2604 standard, which is based on the international ISO 24443 for broad spectrum testing, and ISO 24444 for in-vivo SPF testing.
This means it is scientifically verified as delivering SPF 30 broad spectrum protection, giving you confidence that you’re getting a high level of protection.
19 effective botanical ingredients
We believe in complex formulas and that more ingredients and less fillers equal more results – and the independent testing we’ve done confirms we’re right. We don’t focus on one hero ingredient per product, we fill our products with the highest number of effective and innovative ingredients possible. Our goal is to create formulas that are effective and luxurious as anything in the world, without a drop of anything unclean and toxic. No compromises.
Every ingredient works hard in our formulation but below are your noteworthy ‘skin heroes’:
- Hyaluronic Acid: Hyaluronic acid is like the glass of water your skin desperately needs when out in the sun. It’s a molecule that draws and locks in moisture to your skin, supports elasticity, and boosts collagen production. It has an ability to absorb up to 1,000 times its weight in water.
- Zinc Oxide: Natural, non-toxic, mineral pigment which gives protection from harmful UVA and UVB rays. Our zinc oxide is uniquely non-whitening, with no white residue left on your skin. It is also reef safe.
- Patented organically grown beauty complex from 7 alpine plant extracts: The result of a research program in which a hundred plants were selected for their effectiveness in inhibiting tyrosinase (this is the enzyme which produces the pigment melanin, which you see as dark spots or hyperpigmentation on your skin). The research and development took 5 years, and the resulting clinical studies showed phenomenal results for their effects in inhibiting the production and transfer of melanin to the skin.
- Organic Prickly Pear: Is the ultimate beauty oil. It has the highest concentration of vitamin E of any skin oil (150% more than Argan oil). A powerful antioxidant that can penetrate through layers of skin, assisting the body with the natural wound-healing process. Vitamin E also helps to renew skin cells, making them stronger and reducing oxidative stress.
- Organic Kakadu Plum: Vitamin C is a powerhouse for the skin, it’s one of the most research-backed skincare ingredients, and Kakadu Plum oil has the highest concentration of vitamin C in the world – 100 times more than an orange.
- Raspberry Seed Oil: Has powerful antioxidant properties which ward off damaging environmental aggressors and enhance UV protection.
Full list of ingredients
We ensure every Emma Lewisham ingredient is clean and safe, with a “low hazard” ranking on the Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) Skin Deep Database. Below is our full list of ingredients with their EWG ratings in brackets (1 = low, 10 = high).
You can also learn more about each ingredient and our sustainability goals in our Sustainability Framework.
Coco-caprylate/caprate (1) • Water (1) • Zinc oxide (nano) (2) • Tapioca starch (1) • Organic Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) seed oil (1) • Glycerin (2) • Sorbitan olivate (1) • Cera alba (1) • Lecithin (2) • Polyglyceryl-2 dipolyhydroxystearate (1) • Organic Opuntia ficus-indica (Prickly Pear) seed oil (1) • Hippophae rhamnoides (Sea Buckthorn) fruit oil (1) • Terminalia ferdinandiana (Kakadu Plum) seed oil (1) • Hyaluronic acid (1) • Organic Persea gratissima (Avocado) oil (1) • Organic Calophyllum inophyllum (Tamanu) seed oil (1) • Organic Mentha piperita (Peppermint) leaf extract (1) • Organic Melissa officinalis (Lemon Balm) leaf extract (1) • Actinidia chinensis (Kiwifruit) seed oil (1) • Organic Butyrospermum parkii (Shea) butter (1) • Organic Veronica officinalis (Speedwell) extract (1) • Organic Rosa canina (Rosehip) fruit oil (1) • Organic Alchemilla vulgaris (Lady’s Mantle) extract (1) • Organic Rubus idaeus (Raspberry) seed oil (1) • Organic Malva sylvestris (Mallow) extract (1) • Organic Primula veris (Cowslip) extract (1) • Organic Vitis vinifera (Grape) seed oil (1) • Organic Achillea millefolium (Yarrow) extract (1) • Glyceryl caprylate (1) • Isostearic acid (1) • Caprylhydroxamic acid (1) • Sodium chloride (1) • Galactoarabinan (1) • Polyglyceryl-3 polyricinoleate (1) • Polyhydroxystearic acid (1) • Potassium cetyl phosphate (1) • Parfum • Benzyl Salicylate • Citronellol • Eugenol • Geraniol • Linalool
- 100% of total ingredients are naturally derived
- 68% of active ingredients are from organic farming (NB: we are currently reviewing sourcing for other ingredients)
- 58% of active ingredients are certified according to the Ecocert Standard. The Ecocert standard was designed to hold the ingredients, manufacturing processes and packaging of cosmetic products to a high standard of compliance
- Our formulations contain benzyl salicylate, citronellol, eugenol, geraniol, linalool in very low concentrations as constituents of our essential oils. It’s worth noting that the EWG rating for these, refer only to the individual constituents extracted in a lab from the essential oil, or synthetically replications. The ratings are not applicable to our formulas, as we never use extracted or synthetic constituents, only the pure naturally occurring essential oil
How to use
Apply liberally to skin and reapply every 2 hours, or more frequently if swimming, exercising, perspiring or towel drying.
While our formulation is 100% clean, non-toxic and naturally derived, we recommend if you have sensitive skin or allergies that you do a patch test first or consult your medical practitioner before using any new skincare product. If your skin is not responding well to one of our products, including irritation, please discontinue use and contact a medical practitioner.
This unique formulation is ideal for daily use without any white reside or greasiness. Skin Shield is suitable for all skin, including the most sensitive.